Why do I need a TIN?

If you are a Taxpayer conducting business with the Central Bank, a Public Corporation, Government Departments or Public Authorities (inclusive of the Guyana Revenue Authority) you are required to register for a TIN.

It is important to note, the Guyana Revenue Authority is the only authorised agency that issues a TIN. Further, all applications must be made at the GRA’s Headquarters, 200-201 Camp Street, Georgetown, or any of its Regional Branch Offices.

Who is exempt from needing a TIN?

The following persons are not legally required to obtain a TIN, except when transacting business with the GRA (e.g. to export goods, to import goods for commercial purposes or renew a Driver’s Licence):

  1. Any person under the age of fifteen years old (15 yrs).
  2. Temporary residents in Guyana not in receipt of income (where the stay does not exceed 183 days).
  3. A person who satisfies the GRA that he/she is not in receipt of income (e.g. housewives).