What steps need to be taken to obtain exemptions under Investments Agreements through Go-Invest?
These guidelines apply to persons who are requesting tax exemptions, the zero-rating of value-added tax, and the exemption from the payment of excise tax. The following steps are required:
Step 1: Guyana Office for Investment (Go-Invest)
- Three (3) copies of the Investment Agreement are prepared by the Guyana Office for Investment (Go-Invest), including a list of the items required, and submitted to the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA). Guyana Revenue Authority reviews the draft and if satisfied that the items listed therein qualify for tax exemptions, a letter of recommendation is prepared and sent to the Minister of Finance for approval.
- If GRA is not satisfied with the description and/or quantity of items, then the following are requested:
- Meeting with the applicant and representatives from Go-Invest.
- A site visit.
Step 2: Ministry of Finance
- GRA forwards a letter of recommendation together with the three (3) copies of the Investment Agreement to the Minister of Finance for approval.
- Minister of Finance, if satisfied, signs and returns the signed Agreements to the GRA.
Step 3: Guyana Revenue Authority
- An acknowledgment letter is prepared and sent to the applicant together with a copy of the Investment Agreement.
- A copy of the Investment Agreement is sent to Go-Invest confirming approval and a copy is retained by the GRA.
- The applicant is required to apply on a case by case basis to the GRA for the items on the approved list. (Refer to the information listed on General Application Procedures attached)
- GRA processes the request and issues a CG letter.
- In cases where the applicant has not supplied information that is required by the Guyana Revenue Authority, a letter is issued to the applicant requesting the required information.
For reference see the First Schedule Part III B (1) Item 11 of the Customs Act, Sub-Section (z) of Schedule 1, Paragraph 2 of the Value-Added Tax Act, and Table A-6 of Section 15 of the Excise Tax Act.