Personal effects include barrels, boxes, packages and parcels containing non-commercial items sent by air or sea through any recognised shipping agency.
What steps must I follow when importing personal effects?
Individuals clearing any personal effect will be required to do so utilising the Form C73 for personal effects not exceeding the value of US$500.00. The Customs Officer may determine that a Form C72 must be used depending on the classification of the item even if the value is less than US$500.00.
Once persons have been notified that their cargo has arrived from overseas via a NOTICE from a Shipping Agency they will be required to follow this procedure:
- 01Present your NOTICE and a valid form of Identification to the Shipping Agent.
- 02You will later be directed to the Brokerage Section of the Shipping Agency and the Clerk will partially prepare the Customs declaration (Form C73 or C72) and indicate the cost for the service. (With ASYCUDA World facilitating the Customs Declaration process, the Simplified Declaration (IMS4) has replaced the current C73).
- 03After payment of the Brokerage Fee, proceed to the Bond and submit the documents received from the Brokerage Section to the Bond Supervisor who will arrange a Customs inspection/examination.
- 04The Customs Officer will examine the cargo, specifying any duties and taxes which may be applicable and payable, then payment must be made at the Customs Cashier.
- 05After the payment transaction is completed, a Cart Note would be written up and the cargo would be released by Customs.v
Finally, return to the Bond Supervisor with the release document to uplift your cargo.
What rates apply on the clearance of personal effects being shipped in boxes/cartons?
The following rates are applicable for the clearance of personal effects:
|Extra Large/ Bin Boxes||$4000|
It must be noted that when selection is done for examination and items are found to be of commercial quantities, the applicable rates of taxes stated overleaf and those stated in the Customs Tariffs will be applicable.
- Persons are still required to submit the relevant supporting documents when clearing personal effects.
- GRA reserves the right to randomly select goods for further examination.