The Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) launched the Excise Stamp Tax in November 2017 on all imports of foreign alcoholic beverages and tobacco products (Except Beer).
Why Excise Stamp
Excise Stamp Tax is an anti-smuggling measure to reduce the illicit trade of alcohol/tobacco products within Guyana. Unstamped/illicit goods are produced in an unregulated manner with harmful, largely unknown ingredients; consuming these goods may result in illness or death. Citizens should support the initiative by only purchasing goods that comply with the laws (Stamped alcohol & tobacco products)
WHAT NEEDS TO BE STAMPED?
Every package or unit classified under tariff heading:
22.04. –Wine of fresh grapes, including fortified wines; grape must other than that of heading 20.09.
22.05. –Vermouth and other wine of fresh grapes flavoured with plants or aromatic substances
22.07. – Undenatured ethyl alcohol of an alcoholic strength by volume of 80% volume or higher; ethyl alcohol and other spirits, denatured, of any strength
22.08– Undenatured ethyl alcohol of an alcoholic strength by volume of less than 80% volume; spirits, liqueurs and other spirituous beverages
24.02– Cigars, cheroots, cigarillos, and cigarettes, of tobacco or of tobacco substitutes
24.03. – Other manufactured tobacco and manufactured tobacco substitutes; “homogenized” or reconstituted” tobacco; tobacco extracts and essences.
PRIOR TO THE AFFIXTURE OF EXCISE STAMPS
IF A DISCREPANCY IS FOUND DURING EXAMINATION
- Discrepancy report is prepared
- Amendment to entry/payment of additional taxes
- Release of Goods
This depends on how the declaration is profiled in Asycuda. May include personnel from the following:
- Law Enforcement & Investigation Division
- Wharf Officer
REQUEST FOR STAMPING OPERATION IS LODGED WITH ES&EL
- Completed C43 Form is submitted requesting ES&EL’s officer(s) presence to supervise the stamping operation
Alcohol The correct taxes and customs duty should be paid to the GRA Product should be at least 200ml. However, smaller products may be stamped depending on the shape and size of the bottle. TOBACCO The correct taxes and customs duty should be remitted to the GRA. Health warnings on at least 60% of package Intact package containing ≥ 20 sticks per package All other requirements as stipulated by the Tobacco Control Act 2017
Cost of Stamps
The importer (manufacturer/retailer/other) shall pay for the excise stamps at the applicable rates below
SELF-ADHESIVE DUTY PAID
Cost: $16 per stamp (Accounted for in ASYCUDA)
Cost: $30 per stamp (Paid on a voucher)
SELF-ADHESIVE DUTY PAID
Cost: $8 per stamp (Accounted for in Asycuda)
DRY DUTY PAID
Cost: $3 per stamp (Paid on a voucher)
How to calculate stamp Tax
Alcohol Stamp Tax of $16GDY is calculated on every imported unit (bottle) of alcoholic beverages ranging from size 375 ml and above (750 ml, 1 lt, 1.5 lt, 2.5lt etc.)
- g. one (1) case of Johnnie Walker Black Label (750ml x 12 bottles)
Practical: 12 btls x $16 = $192 GYD to be paid to GRA for 12 Stamps.
Tobacco Stamp Tax of $8 GDY is calculated on every imported individual pack of cigarettes products of20’s size and cigars.
- Eg. one(1) case of GT SMART Cigarettes (50 cartons x 10 packs x 20 cigarettes)
Practical: 500 packs x $8GDY=$4,000GYD to be paid to GRA for 500 Stamps.
The GRA applied a high rate of taxes on all alcoholic products based on the “alcohol strength”, which ranges from beers, wines, hard liquor etc. Example, hard liquor originated out of CARICOM Region attract:
- Import Duty ———–100% off the CIF Value
- Excise Tax ————-$220 per liter
- VAT———————14% compounded
- Environmental Levy–$10 per unit/bottle
- Alcohol Tax Stamp—$16 per unit/bottle
Example, Cigarettes originated out of CARICOM Region attract:
- Import Duty ————–100% of the CIF Value
- Excise Tax —————–$2500 every 1000 Sticks
- VAT ————————14% Compounded
- Tobacco Tax Stamp —–$8 per unit/pack
AFFIXTURE OF EXCISE STAMPS
The importer should provide personnel to affix the excise stamps as stipulated by the GRA
Must be clearly visible when the products are displayed for sale
- Alcohol excise stamps should be affixed in an “L shape” over the bottle seal and clearly visible
Must be affixed in such a manner as to become damaged or destroyed when the product is opened or an attempt is made to remove the excise stamp
- Tobacco excise stamps should be applied over the seal of the product and clearly visible
- The following are a summary offences under the Act:
- Imports any goods on which Excise stamps should be affixed without being registered with the Commissioner-General under these regulations;
- Fails to affix an excise stamp on the package of good in such secure manner as the Commissioner-General may prescribe;
- Prints over or defaces an excise stamp fixed on a package;
- Is in possession of goods on which the Excise stamps have not been affixed and which are not destined for export;
- Attempts to acquire or acquires an excise stamp without the authority of the Commissioner-General;
- Prints, make or in any way creates an excise stamp without the authority of the Commissioner-General; or
- Removes or otherwise prepares any excise stamp with the intent to use or cause the same to be used after it has already been used.