How can I obtain an Exemption for over the counter and prescription drugs, permitted to be imported into Guyana by the Government Analyst, Food & Drugs Department?
Pharmacies are eligible for partial customs exemptions and the zero-rating of value-added on pharmaceuticals. The pharmaceuticals that are considered eligible for tax exemption are:
- Over the Counter and Prescription Drugs approved by the Government Analyst, Food & Drugs Department.
- Vitamins are granted partial exemption from the payment of customs duty and zero-rated from the payment of value-added tax.
- Minerals and supplements are zero-rated from the payment of value-added tax.
- Glucose blood test machine, needle, and strips are zero-rated from the payment of value-added tax.
The procedure and requirements to apply for these exemptions are as follows:
- Application to the Commissioner-General
- Taxpayer Identification Number.
- Government Analyst – (Food & Drugs Department) Permit to import the registered pharmaceuticals.
- Import Licence
- In cases where the applicant has not supplied information that is required by the Guyana Revenue Authority, a letter is issued to the applicant requesting the required information.
For reference see First Schedule Part III-A Item 8 of the Customs Act, Sub-Section (dd) of Schedule 1, Paragraph 2, and Sub-Section (bb) of Schedule 1, Paragraph 2A of the Value-Added Tax Act, for further details.