How can I obtain an Exemption to benefit from Government Contracts?
These guidelines apply to persons who are requesting tax exemptions from customs duty the zero-rating of value-added tax and exemption from the payment of excise tax.
Before any applications are processed for tax exemptions, the Ministry of Finance must submit a copy of the contract to the GRA, highlighting the relevant tax exempt clause(s).
The following requirements and procedure must be followed:
- Apply to the Commissioner-General from Ministry of Finance giving a brief description of the items and listing the invoice number(s).
- The Contractor’s Taxpayer Identification Number.
- Contractors’ application to Ministry.
- Approval from Consultants.
- Any request for an extension will require the original Commissioner – General’s letter. This is to verify that the items have not been cleared at Customs.
- In cases where the applicant has not supplied information that is required by the Guyana Revenue Authority, a letter is issued to the applicant requesting the required information.
Please refer to the First Schedule Part III B (2) Item 34 (1) and (2) and 35 of the Customs Act and Sub-Section (o) of Schedule 1, Paragraph 2 of the Value-Added Tax Act and Table A-6 and A-7 of Section 15 of the Excise Tax Act, for further details.