Renewal of Motor Vehicle Licence
To ensure the smooth flow of the licensing process at the Licence Revenue Office or any Regional GRA Office facilitating the sale of motor vehicle licence, owners of motor vehicles are required to present the following documents to the Licence Revenue Officer upon application:
- Certificate of Registration (original or photocopy)
Procedure for Renewal of Licence
If the cashier is satisfied with the documents produced, the applicant is required to pay the relevant fee to the Cashier to effect renewal of licence (see below table), where he/ she is issued with a new Motor Vehicle Road Service Licence.
Procedure for Renewal of Licence of a Hire Car in Corporate Yellow and Minibus in ‘G’ series
The taxpayer is advised to take the vehicle for a physical examination to ensure that the vehicle still meets the criteria under which the exemption was granted.
For Hire car a detailed examination is conducted to ensure that the color is not changed from Corporate Yellow. The Licence Revenue Officer will prepare an examination form and issue same to the taxpayer. It should be noted the licence for Hire Cars in Corporate Yellow is free.
It must be noted that for Mini bus in the ‘G’ series the vehicle must meet the following criteria:
- The vehicle has seats fitted at the front of the vehicle for the driver and two porters only.
- The side of the vehicle is completely sealed with metal NOT glass.
- No seats are fitted in the rear of the vehicle.
- The registration defines approval for three (3) passengers only. (Driver, two porters)
- The unladen weight of the vehicle, name and address of the registered owner should be painted on the right side door of the vehicle.
The applicant is required to produce the following documents to the Cashier:
- Certificate of Registration
- Completed Examination Form
The cashier once satisfied with the documents presented informs the applicant of the relevant fee to be paid to effect renewal of licence (see rates attached), where he/ she is issued with a new Motor Vehicle Road Service Licence.
Further, it must be noted that the cost associated with Motor Vehicle Licence application, is dependent on the weight of the vehicle. The applicable costs are listed below:
|Amendment||Current Rates ($)|
|(1) Vehicles solely for private use in carrying persons or for broadcasting purposes:-
(a) having 2 wheels and not exceeding 200 pound
|(2) For each motor vehicle other than a motor cycle:—
(a)not exceeding 2,240 pounds
| (3) Passenger vehicle for hire or reward
(a) not exceeding 2,240 pounds
|(5) (a)For each motor bus used solely in Georgetown or New Amsterdam and seating:—
(i) not more than 14 passengers
(b)For each motor bus used elsewhere and seating:-
|(5) For each goods vehicle:—
(a)not exceeding 1120 pounds unladen weight
(b)exceeding 1120 pounds but not exceeding 2240 pounds unladen weight
(i) for a motor lorry exceeding four tons, but not exceeding six tons payload, the licence fee shall be
|6. Other Motor Vehicles
(a) for any agricultural motor tractor and trailer which are used for the sole purpose of carrying
|7. For each motor hearse|| 1,800
|9. For each mechanically propelled crane, hoist, compressor, bulldozer or similar vehicle used in connection with construction, which is not in itself designed or constructed to carry any load other than loose tools and equipment||1,800|
| 10. (a) For trailer used in connection with a motor car:-
(i) having two wheels
| 11. For each ATV
No licence shall be paid for invalid carriage;
No licence shall be required for any motor vehicle or trailer used in any of the following areas: –
“Passengers”, include the driver
The Minister may define the districts in which the fee for any trailer used on a car shall be one half of the appropriate amount. For any trailer fitted with tyres the fee shall be twice the appropriate amount except if the tyres are pneumatic tyres
The Minister may declare by an order that a particular district in Guyana shall not pay for any licence for a motor vehicle or trailer. The order shall take effect on the first day in any quarter and shall also be published in the official Gazette. However, if an applicant for such a licence makes any payment after the Minister’s order is published in the Gazette, he or she shall be refunded. An applicant for a licence for a motor vehicle or trailer is also within his or her right to appeal if he or she disagrees with a decision by a licencing officer.
The issuance of a Trade Plate Licence
Requirements for the issuance of Trade Plate Licence
The applicant produces the following documents to the Licence Revenue Officer
- A Completed Application form.
- A typed or computer generated letter stating the reason for request.
- Updated Business Registration.
- A valid form of Identification or Passport.
Procedure for the issuance of a Trade Plate Licence
- The application form and letter are reviewed to ensure that taxpayer is in compliant with filling of returns and payment of taxes, and an interview is conducted to determine eligibility of the applicant.
- If all tax obligations are fulfilled, and the applicant is deemed eligible the approve Dealers General Licence is prepared.
- The applicant is referred to the Cashier to effect payment.
A fee of Two hundred and twenty thousand dollars ($220,000.00) is charged per annum. For each additional Plates a fee of Twenty Thousand dollars ($20,000.00) is charged. A maximum of Four plates can be issued.